Sunday, September 28, 2008

Light the Night Walk 08

We participated in the Light the Night Walk, which benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, again this year. I became passionate about the walk when a good friend of mine, Mandy Claypoole, was diagnosed with leukemia. Mandy is a Physician Assistant that I worked with in Butler. I've always been involved in supporting charties and I wanted to have Nolan involved as soon as I could. We started last year with Light the Night and knew right away that it was a walk we'd always be involved in. To me, it was different than any other charity walk/fundraiser I've been involved in. It takes place in the evening hours b/c during the walk the participants carry illuminated balloons. There are big screens that play on each end of the field that have patient profiles/stories playing during the walk. They also have survivors speak before the walk. Senator Richard Kasunic is the honorary speaker for the Fayette Co. chapter of Light the Night and he does a fantastic job. This charity is also very personal to him as his wife, Laura, died of leukemia. My parents went to school with Rich and Laura and I went to school with his son Rich and his wife Laura (interesting that they both married Laura's, huh). All are very nice people.

Little did I know when we started this walk last year that I would also be walking in honor of my mom, Sandy. This year, in April, my mom was diagnosed with a Plasmacytoma (proliferation of malignant plasma cells) on her spine. A plasmactyoma is often a precursor to a much more serious illness known as Multiple Myeloma. My mom had radiation treatment at the Arnold Palmer Pavilion in Greensburg, PA. So far, she is recovering well and grateful for the wonderful staff of medical personnel at Arnold Palmer. She is looking forward with hope and faith in God for a long and healthy life ahead. Her next follow-up appointment is in Oct. and I will be sure to keep you posted. I will also continue to update you on Mandy, who is now in remission.

I would like to encourage each of you to become involved in some sort of charity work. There is so much out there one can do to help another. There are endless opportunities for volunteer work that won't cost you a dime but in turn will make you feel like the richest person on earth as your heart fills with overwhelming positive emotions.

I am so thankful and so very blessed that I was able to start participating in volunteer work at such a young age through my church and through Kids and Company in Connellsville. I am also very grateful that I was raised in family that encouraged me to help others and to truly see how much more rewarding it is to give than to receive. Any of you who know my mother know that she's our very own "Mother Theresa".

Reach out and touch someone....pick up the phone, write a letter (not an e-mail) or pay a visit. You will be amazed at how fruitful life can be when you open your heart to others.

1 comment:

PletcherFamily said...

Great blog and wonderful post!